January 17, 2009

Mad as hell!

In my "Agenda" of this blog today is about breast cancer. I have wanted to share many facts on breast cancer and get more people aware of the signs as it is taking to many lives silently. The facts I want to share with you have just flown out the window today because today I am mad, very mad!
My closest friend is fighting breast cancer, I was so blind to it, I knew people got it but I was always the person that said "yes it happens to others, no one I know has it and I do not as well"
While I was off stressing my way through a divorce and custody battle my closest friend found out she has breast cancer and she kept it to herself because she did not want me to focus less on my child and add stress to me. I understand her meaning was well hearted but I can not believe she went through things in the beginning alone.
My friend is a single mother, through her treatments of chemo she has on one occasion flat lined and on another passed out in her bathroom and was in a coma for 10 days. This lady is the strongest person I know. She actually fled to this country 15 years ago because of a political war where she was sexually and physically abused, her throat slashed and left for dead, she has slowly put her life together and now this!
You now have the back ground of the most amazing and strong person I know now to why I am mad! Yesterday she was meant to go in for her 3rd operation, this time it is to get both breasts removed, through all her fighting and chemo it has come to this. One hour before she left for the long 4 hour drive to the hospital she got a phone call that reminded her to take her bank card, wondering why she needed money she asked them, in which they replied "Well the operation is 20,000euro and we as your insurance company are only paying 5,000"
Being a single mother and now unable to work because of her "sickness" she does not have anything close to 15,000 laying around. The conversation ended there and it was only minutes later the phone rang again and it was the hospital TELLING her that if she did not have the 15,000 she can not have the operation.
Crying she called me and told me what happened, I am not a person you want to upset believe you me! There were phone calls made and there was a verbal lashing given (I love to use "big words" that make people us a dictionary)
Monday my friend has an appointment at a hospital where the costs we hope shall be covered.
I am so mad! it is not like she is going in to get cosmetic surgery, she is to have life saving surgery and to do so she has to have both breasts removed, already the mental anguish it is giving her as she is thinking without her breasts she is not a lady any more.
This lady needs a break and I am going to do everything in my power to make sure she gets her surgery at no cost and after it she needs a weekend away, even if it is at a villa park in a town close to where she lives she deserves it! she needs it!
All the jewellery I am selling on this blog all the money from the sales will be going towards her and her son, their medical expenses, travelling costs and if there is something left over a small weekend away, I WILL make this happen.

1 comment:

  1. Your friend is such a strong woman... I admire her courage. I hope she gets through the operation without any obstacles or difficulties. I hope she will get a new lease of life after the operation with her son..

    You are being such a good friend.. All the best to the both of you.. Friends like you are harrd to get and definitely worth keeping. :)

    p/s: Why don't you set up a paypal donate button for your readers who knows about your friend's plight or you can ask around everybody who knows the both of you for help via email, etc.. It is a big sum but whatever it is, I really hope you will succeed. :)

    ReplyDelete